Monday, January 24, 2011

My Internship at an Elementary School




During my senior year of high school I was fortunate enough to participate in the internship program at my school. I chose to intern at my former elementary school with my former second grade teacher, Mrs. Schwortz.  In the beginning of my internship I sat in the back of the classroom and just observed Mrs. Schwortz and got to know the children in her class. I also was able to put together bulletin boards, grade tests, and help her keep the classroom organized. As the children became more comfortable with me Mrs. Schwortz allowed me to walk around the classroom and help children with their work, go over class work or homework with them, and read to them. I also was able to give short lessons on topics such as nouns or verbs. As the school year went on the children began to feel more comfortable asking me for help or to look over their work.
My favorite experience at the internship was when Mrs. Schwortz left school early and forgot to tell me not to come that day since there was going to be a substitute teacher there. The substitute was new and didn’t seem to know what she was doing. Since I knew the class well and knew what they had to work on I was able to take over for the substitute and be the teacher for a few hours. It felt incredible to be standing in front of the classroom and having the children listen to me. After that day I knew that I definitely wanted to be a teacher.

Here is the website for the school that I interned at: Schwarting Elementary School



 

No comments:

Post a Comment