Monday, January 24, 2011

Intel Research



         Another experience I had working with young children was for a research paper I wrote for the Intel Science Talent Search Competition. For Intel I had to come up with a research topic and have my own data. The topic of my project was television’s effect on children’s reading development. In order to get my data I created a survey for parents about children’s reading and television viewing habits.  I also picked a TV show and showed the children index cards with words on them before and after watching the show to see if they learned anything from watching it. In addition to providing me with data for my research project, I also learned that children of the same age vary greatly in pace at which they learn. All of the children in my research were the same age however some of them couldn’t read many of the words while others read them very easily. It is very important to remember that children learn at different speeds when I have my own classroom someday so that the children that learn slower don’t fall behind.


 For more information: Intel STS


Here is the research paper that I wrote:


No comments:

Post a Comment